Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Strip District

     On of my favorite places to spend time, while in Pittsburgh, is the Strip District, or "the strip" as the locals call it. The Strip is one-half square mile, northeast of downtown Pittsburgh. If you love people and food, hit it, it's all there. I decided to get some fresh food to cook for dinner that night, but first I needed some gastronomical inspiration.
     The morning started off with a bloody Mary at Bar Marcos. A sweet midget pickle, cube of sharp cheese and a chunk of prosciutto sat on to of my drink far better than the taste of the bill when it came.(live and learn).
     The Polish market in the strip brought back memories of Kopytko's in Hamtramick, MI as well as Henrietta's kitchen where I spent countless hours perfecting my perogi making. The fellow in the above photo sported a sleeveless, gold lame' shirt and a Mohawk. (awful Tawney for a mining town)
     Being a self proclaimed pizza connoisseur, I was lured into Bella Notte for a slice of pizza.
     While I often find, taking pictures of food, as it's set upon your table, when you go out to eat, "way cliche'", I could not resist. When you order a slice here, it's not a precooked pizza with your topping added and the warmed up in the oven. They take a pre-formed, unbaked pizza, slice it and add your toppings, then they bake away until the thin crust is crispy and the whole milk mozzarella gently melted. Decorated with fresh roasted, sweet red peppers and fresh anchovies, my slice was scrumptious. Fresh pepperoni and hot yellow peppers filled in as a close second. Two ice cold Yuengling beers made lunch complete.
     My next stop should be no surprise to any Dash fan, Wholey's Seafood market!




I could spend hours in this place, and I did. I was looking for something special to cook for dinner for my gracious hosts. The possibilities were endless and I must have paced the floor like a caged tiger. Suddenly the crowds parted and a sparkle, as though cast from the gleaming eye of Davy Jones himself,called to me and I saw it. It was the most beautiful cut of wild caught Scottish Salmon I had ever seen.
I decided to pair them up with lamb chops in a surf and turf fashion. For color I elected to serve fresh asparagus, steamed in ginger water. I softened up some fresh mushrooms and slow cooked them  with shallots and butter. I topped the pan off with a can of Yuengling and boiled it until it was reduced to a thick sauce so as not to serve the lamb chops naked. All cooked on a grill and eaten to perfection. What a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment