Friday, June 1, 2012

Cupid and the Lunch Lady

     When I was in High School, I liked the lunch lady. I smiled extra wide and perhaps even batted my eye lashes a bit too. As a healthy, athletic 17 year old, I had an apatite that would seem endless at times. As I made my way through the lunch line, I smiled, said my "yes please" and my "thank you mam", and by the time I got to the cashier, there was always something different about my tray. For some reason, the light I stood in seemed to make the scoop of mash potatoes on everyone else's plate appear dainty. My cheese burgers looked as though they were triples! My plates of spaghetti made my plate disappear under the sheer weight. I liked the lunch lady and she liked me. She new I loved vanilla cake with white icing and on the days it was dessert, my slice of cake would always be retrieved from under the counter on the lunch lady's side. She would stoop down and arise with a plate that looked as though it was intended for 4.
     It appears that the tradition continues. The lunch lady at the high school loves my dog, "Cupid".  It is safe to say that Cupid loves her. Mirna, the lunch lady has come to adopt Cupid as part of her family. Day after day, Cupid looks out the window, always in anticipation of Mirna coming to visit with treats.  You can always tell when Mirna has stopped by when no one is home. There is always a neat little pile of dog treats, arranged in a smiley face pattern or clover leaf, just outside the back door. On the other side of the glass door is Cupid, laying in wait for the door to open and the opportunity to reap the rewards of fulfilling her name sake.  

No comments:

Post a Comment