Saturday, June 16, 2012

Cattle Drive

The morning started off a little nippy. In fact, the freeze guards on the pivots, shut the flow off, so the water didn't freeze. Today, we were moving cattle to greener pastures. What should be easy, gets just a bit complicated when "newer pastures" are on the other side of I-90. If that weren't bad enough, we had to take 'em across the railroad tracks. A quick call to the Santa Fa station master, told us there was a short stack due by and all we had to do was wait for the train to pass and we were good to go. As always, I was in a hurry to get moving and left my gloves in the truck. Let's just say, I put my hot air to good use, warming my hands as I rode over to the calving pen. Waiting on the train was easy for us, but for 800 head of cattle, standing by the tracks can get a bit nerve racking. "Easy does it", rang out over and over.
     Once over the tracks and under the highway, all we had to do was get 800 head to make a left turn, on command. If you haven't noticed, cattle don't have turn signals.
Lots of cattle, some good dogs, well behaved horses and a few great neighbors.
Gods country, no doubt about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment