Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Spatchcock

     Spatchcock, that's what they call it. It's a fancy, schmancy name for splaying a turkey. It all started out so inicently. I wanted to cook a turkey, during the week, in a short period of time, without heating up the kitchen; and along came Spatchcock.
     I brined the turkey, overnight, in water with sugar, salt, cider vinigar, sage rosemary and tyme. When I got home tonight I pulled the turkey out of the brine and patted it down like one of the usual suspects and surgically removed its back bone.(I must admit, I felt a bit like Rosanne Bar on a date with Tom Arnold) A light coating of kosher salt, pepper and some cajun rub and without any provokation what so ever, I gave the grill the bird. Now, for you faint of heart "Dash fans", I elected not to kill this bird myself. It was actually a contract killing of sorts, as I never had any interaction or knowlege of anything pertaining to or about "said" turkey, before pulling him out of the freezer.
     The 16 pound bird cooked in 1 1/2 hours and was without doubt, THE TENDEREST WHITE MEET EVER!  I know I'm going to sound a bit like Col. Oliver North here and perhaps even a bit like Ronald Regan, but, I have no recolection of any Thanksgiving turkey, EVER, that came out this moist.
Now that you know this, go ahead and try it.  Wait 'till you have the place all to yourself, don't ask, don't tell, try it you'll like it.   SPATCHCOCK! 

No comments:

Post a Comment