Sunday, June 10, 2012

Folf Rules!

Sunday found me on the links of a different kind. I made my first debut on a disc golf course. If you like being outdoors and being active, folf is for you. If you want to surround yourself with great, friendly people, folf is definitely for you. I had the time of my life! It's pretty simple and much like a "stick" golf course. We played 18 holes throughout the beautiful rolling woods in Allegheny County PA.
The tees were all cement pads and there were plenty of challenging 3 par and 5 par holes. There were lots of trees that constantly threatened to swat your disk. Up hills and down hills. I have a very unorthodox throw for distance. The first time I hucked the disc, two players came over and wanted to know what in the heck I just did. They had never seen that before. Before I knew it, I found myself giving lessons on how to replicate my signature throw. Talk about a small world, of the two guys that came over to quiz me, one of the turned out to be a card caring member of the Dash Confab Fan Club. Talk about a small world! They dubbed my throw, "The Montananan".
After the hucking lesson, they let us play through. On the very next hole, the guys that let us, once again play through, said,"what the heck did you just do?" He said that it was the first time he ever saw a throw, like that on the golf course. I told him that was the second time I heard that today. They too ended up being great people.
Hole 15 proved to be a favorite as it required you to drive across a disc eating lake. Wat cool.
People rave about soccer. So much so that if you tell a soccer head that you don't care for soccer, the will spend 3 hours telling you why you should. If you were to tell a fireman, they loves soccer, while he was on his way to put out a blaze, that you didn't like soccer, the place would burn to the ground because he is gonna stop and convince you that you have to love soccer. Well. I'm here to tell you, you gotta go play folf. Buy yourself some discs and head to the nearest course and give 'em a toss. You will inevitably meet genuinely nice, helpful people, good people. Don't worry about looking silly, just tell people, it's called "the Montanan".

No comments:

Post a Comment