Sunday, April 29, 2012

R1150RT-P, Off the Beatin' Path

    On my way to Church this morning, as I crossed over the Bozeman Pass, I was greeted by snow. While I enjoyed the view, I passed a truck with Georgia plates driving slow. I looked at the truck as I passed and noticed a small girl, leaning over the back of the front seat, her eyes were as big as pie plates. I wondered if this was the first time she saw snow. On the way home, I knew if I wanted to log some saddle time on my bike I'd have to head east; I would at least have dry smooth pavement.
     Sometimes I just can't take my own medicine. I headed east alright, but I made a left turn and headed north on the first dirt road that looked like it would get me lost. What a wonderful day for riding.
I went about 80 miles in loose gravel, packed gravel and dirt, until I came to this chunk of water.
I like this picture, you can see the road, straight ahead, about a mile away. I'm thinking about coming back during duck season.

This spot was overlooking a burned out area. It went on for miles.
After turning around at the water hazard, I decided to head south about 80 miles and decided to call it quits as the red dirt started to get too soft. Those are the Beartooth's in the background.

It's difficult to see how steep this really is, but I gained quite a bit of elevation in a relatively short distance. It was a beautiful day for a ride, and believe it or not, I had the roads all to myself.

3 comments:

  1. Greetings Dash,

    Love your bike, what year is it? I see you have mounted your driving lights on the brackets that are above the handlebar level, how does that work for you? Why did you not use the brackets that are between the bars on the front crash bars? If you travel on gravel roads a lot that might be the reason.

    Cheers,
    Glenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Glenn, Thanks for checking out my blog and sending a comment. The bike is a "03 and currently for sale (not proactivly). The PIAA's are on the brackets that origionally held the cherries and berrys. I use them for sweeping the ditches for elk and moose. I don't go looking for gravel and dirt, but I don't shy away from the stuff when I'm on this bike. It's so easy to handle, I forget it's not a dirt bike. What do you ride and where do you ride it at

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an 06 X Austin PD and am thinking about putting the rear seat back on . Any advise ??

    ReplyDelete