Saturday, May 5, 2012

Avengers Movie Review

     Last night, I went to see The Avengers in 3-D. I always enjoy seeing any movie at my small town theatre, but is cool seeing the Marvel  marvel.com/   movies especially. The 3-D was neither bothersome nor outstanding. When I saw Captain America (the movie) in 3-D, it was o.k. as well. The best part was having to duck a ricocheting star spangled shield. I will say this, whether you are a Marvel fan or not, whether you like 3-D movies or not, go see the 3-D Spiderman movie when it comes out! I believe they got it spot on for this one. I've never been a hughe fan of the web slinger, but I can't wait for this one to come out.
    

The movie itself was good. It had a good plot and unlike some of the Marvel movies, it didn't take too long to reel you in with action. Robert Downey Jr., gives the role of Tony Stark so much flair. If you never followed the Iron Man comic books, you miss the ironic part of Downey Jr. playing the role of Tony Stark. By that I mean, personal bad habits, checkered past. It might be the single most "inside joke" going. You gotta be real quick to catch every subtle jab Downey tosses out during the whole movie; it will be worth getting the DVD to make sure you don't.

 
 Scarlette Johansson as the Black Widow was almost perfect. She plays a super hot Russian, super Hero, without looking like she built for the runway. She's a muscle car, not a rail dragster. The only part I didn't care for was when she pulled he twin rigged Glock 26's and used them to fight off giant armored soldiers from another planet. Just a bit under gunned in my opinion. Although, she does carry them around in their twin, thigh high holsters better than most. You'd have to check out Lola, from Transporter 2, but that would be bad girl vs good girl.
     My favorite line in the movie came from David Banner. When things are getting ready to go south, real bad, they look to him and say you better get mad, he says," that's easy, I'm always mad". Mark Ruffalo does the best job of anyone, playing Dr.David Banner. He continuously looks under duress. He maintains troubled eyes, always looking for "what's the catch", in all that surrounds him. One of the final scenes with Loki, take me back to 1976, as I learned a valuable lesson. I'm not as big on the outside as I am on the inside. Giving away 80 lbs. in your weight class, is absurd. I'm reminded of that lesson every morning as I roll out of bed. Here is a list of 131 things that will invoke the Hulk: http://kennethjohnson.us/HulkOutList.html

Hulk hands? I got 'em
I like Thor, I didn't care for the Thor movie all that much, but then again, I preferred Prometheus as far as Greek God. I also prefer the trident to the hammer. Then once again, I'd pick St. Michael over Prometheus in a street brawl. In the movie, Loki actually steals the thunder from Thor. (pun untended) It's been a long time since I've seen someone rock the mullet the way Loki does.


      If you are not a hardcore Marvel fan, you might not have recognised Hawkeye as a Super Hero, at the movies start. Easy to see why he gets missed in some of the movie promo stills. If you learn anything from this, know, "first impressions are everything". You may also, not quite understand that his arrows, although endless in supply, can run out. How's that for an oxymoron?

Being a hugh Samuel L Jackson fan, I must say, I find it hard to picture Sgt.Nick Fury as a black guy. The white walls make it all work. I will say, I prefer Samuel to David Hasselhoff. At minimum, you gotta' be a mans man if you want to emulate Sarge. Once again, I reflect back on just how many dinner reservations I've made under "Fury, party of 4". My hospital volley ball team was named, Nick Fury and the howling commandos. I still have my, Nick Fury agent of S.H.I.E.L.D, t-shirt. It's from back in the day and it still fits.
     Last but not least, we the Captain. Although his uniform might be best suited for "ink on paper" he still embodies the cornerstone for Americas hero. He is authentic, he knows what it means to put himself last. He looks at tough guys, who are in it for the fanfare as neophytes. I love it when he tells Tony to, "put the suit on". When it all goes buck wild, Captain America takes charge and calls the shots like a well oiled, well respected quarterback. He knows when to stop the pissing contest and when to forge ahead. he prefers to let his actions speak for themselves.
     A great movie for the whole family. Don't get mad when the kids get home and start springing off the couch and delivering gong like blows with trash can lids. Embrace it, cause at the end of the day, it could be worse; they could be sitting quietly on the couch playing Grand Theft Auto.

No comments:

Post a Comment