Sunday, March 11, 2012

Trail Creek Cabin

The view from the front porch of the cabin was beautiful, early Saturday morning. We had all survived the night.It was so peaceful, I decided to get my thermarest pad and finish my morning slumber out on the snow. Snuggled up in my favorite warm red coat, I grabbed a peanut butter and marshmallow sandwich and a bottle of milk and waited for the sun to make it's way across the meadow and introduce me to my day.
The cabin is great. It was built in 1927 and just screams of stories untold. It has two bunk beds, three wooden chairs, a fold down table and a wood burning stove.
For breakfast, I baked some biscuits and made some eggs. KJ cooked bacon and The Greek rolled out of bead with a sore neck and a new nick name,"Sparky".


After breakfast, KJ had to take Sparky back to the trail head so he could go to work. Shortly after they left, my pal JD showed up with his dog, Gunner. He told a story of coming across a scene in the snow where it looked like a snowmobile and a skier crashed or got into a fist fight. He followed the blood trail for a short while and then it just stopped. He said it was about 2.5 into the trip. Hmm? I told him the story of my trip in and he just laughed. We spent the rest of the day skiing and taking in all the scenery. We cooked up some antelope bratwurst and chilled out for the evening.
Sunday morning started out with some cheesy brats, another peanut butter and marshmallow sandwich, and a quick cleaning of the cabin. We topped off the firewood box for the next folks and we were off. The sun was hot and turned most of the snow to mush but I welcomed that on those otherwise fast down hills.
Gunner gets my tough guy award, he picked up the stick (actually it's a good chunk of a tree) he played with at the cabin, and he carried it out the whole way.
What a great, relaxing, adventurous way to spend a weekend unwinding.

The End


No comments:

Post a Comment