Saturday, March 17, 2012

First Branding of the Year

Moms waiting anxiously to be reunited with their calves.
I thought that firing up both motorcycles, this past Thursday, fired me up for spring. I was wrong. Saturday morning came, complete with sunshine, the return of sandhills, herons and robins. Ah, spring is in the air.
I hustled out to Mission Creek Ranch, just east of town, not wanting to be late. I wasn't worried about getting my pay docked, I just didn't want to miss out on anything. Turns out I got there a bit early and got to hang out with Cody for a bit, waiting for the medicine to show up. Saturday was to be the first of three rounds of branding scheduled to take place at the ranch. What a beautiful day it was.

     Linda and Ray started out working the irons as we pushed through about 100 hundred head. I got to feed the chute from the small holding corral. I managed to pull off an entire day without getting kicked our getting my toes crushed. Quite honestly, it was easier than any of my last ten workouts. We made quick work of the day. When you get a good crew, it becomes quite the assembly line. Lean manufacturing, time tested and proven. We finished up without a hitch and headed into the calving barn to get some chow.
     The barn had about seven sets of newborns that just came into this world and are waiting to feed off mama for the first time. This handsome little nipper is cute as a button and not much bigger than one, at that.
     For lunch, we had pulled pork and all the fixens. Ice cold beer and brownies, but not necessarily in that order. It feels good to be welcomed in. I always enjoy working hard with a great bunch of people. I feel even better when I get invited back. I'd venture to say that everyone involved, slept good that night. There may have been a few that never waited that long.

Little nippers romping through the creek.

No comments:

Post a Comment