Thursday, February 23, 2012

Lean Manufacturing



I have spent the past month focusing on lean manufacturing at my work place. Part of my struggle has been spent, pleading the fact that I get it. In fact, my catch phrase has been, "it really ain't that hard. I've had some help along the way. Some top quality help that has given me direction toward working smarter, not harder. I can't help but hear R.E.M. sing their hit, Great Beyond. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J9YAFf-xqs
Let me see if I can give you an example....................................................................
     You have a pod of killer whales, Orcas if you please, swimming in the ocean. Over there (you gotta use your imagination here) is a GIANT school of small fish. Take a minute to invision how the giant whales go about eating the small fish. In your mind, how confident are you that you have it figured out? You don't need to be a marine biologist or even have to spend any time on the Calipso to know, your certain you know how the giants gobble up all those little fish. It ain't that hard! What if I told you you were wrong? Unless you are willing to bet everything you own on how they do it, you are wrong. To quote my man Jules Whitfield, "it breaks down like this....."
     The Killers locate the school of small fish using a form of sonar. They emit clicks and hums to verify their location. Then, the whales begin to speak to each other and put their plan into action. They corral the schools into a tight formation. At that moment, when the school is packed together tightly, the whales emit a loud, high pitched schrill. It hits the bladders of the small fish and confuses their equalibrium momentarily. In that state of confusion, the fish pack even more tightly together. (Yes like sardines) The whales quickly approach the school and with the fury of Thores hammer they pound their tail, creating a shock wave, equal to the concussion of a grenade. It renders the small fish totally imobile and the hugh sea mammels turn gently, and casually feast on the small fish like punters munching on pretzels at the Owl Tavern. That my friend is lean. No wasted movement and adding value every step of the way.
     How did you do? How would Hooper have faired? How about the Chief? Quint? If you know your Jaws, you know that if your on the boat, Quints right. If your on land, it Chief Browdys call. In the ocean it's Hooper all the way. The moral here? It always pays to know where you stand.
     The Beastie Boys say, "you got to fight for your right". In Josey Wales. Lone Watie says," endevour to perservere".  On my cedar turkey box call are three simple words, patience, persistance and perserverance.
Pick your battles.............smarter, not harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment