Tuesday, February 21, 2012

All the Pretty Horses

    

I watched the movie, All the Pretty Horses, last evening. It's a movie based on the novel by the same name. It's directed by Billy Bob Thorton. He did a spectacular job with this movie. It stars Matt Damon and Penelope Cruz. I'm not a big Matt Dillan fan, however, he got the most out of his character. As cowboy movies go, this one  takes place outside of the box. It doesn't have a story book ending, like the popular Hollywood garbage, but that seems to be a theme with Mirmax Productions. If you are an "old school" western buff, there is a surprize visit from Bruce Dern. Ah, the memories I have of all the times I used Acea Watts as my alias.
     The movie is powerful, and I struggled with what the actual message was they wanted to get across. It's a strong, hard look into the soul of a young man. You could change or rearrange the setting, and it would more than likely get played out in the same fashion. Whether a man tries to be how he wants to be or tries to be how someone else wants him to be, in the end, he is what he is.

     My take away from the movie comes from Charles Swindolls book Come Before Winter.
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the fortress of a rebel heart".
Watch the movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment