Saturday, February 11, 2012

Back Country Skiing

Saturday morning found me back out in the hot tub at 4:00a.m.. I was excited to get rolling and took the time to get warmed up for my back country ski trip. It was 3 degrees out and I was waiting for the sun to break. I headed up to Goose Creek trail head with my pal Jeremiah. We took separate vehicles because, although we planned to start off skiing together, we had different destinations calling us.
     After getting a new foot of snow, it just goes to show you the early bird gets the fresh powder trail as well. We set out onto the logging trail for a few miles. As I skied along in the virgin powder, I couldn't help but be mesmerized by the tips of my skis gliding and barely porpoising, like an otter, sailing just under the river surface on the heels of a trout.  So cool!
     After trudging in a few miles we headed, off the road and up a side trail to Chestnut Mountain.
     We made a fire, ate some chow, listened to some Dropkick Murphy's. A frozen man cave. After lunch we parted ways and enjoyed what the day had in store for us. By the end of the afternoon, the sun began to break as I headed for home.

No comments:

Post a Comment