Sunday, January 8, 2012

Best Pizza in Dallas

One mission I was definitely on my entire trip to Dallas,Texas, was to find great food. I always say that life is too long to spend with crappy people or to eat bad food. It seemed that every time I asked where I could find great food, someone tried to point me to some 5 star restaurant. After some relentless pursuit, I finally found a slice of heaven. Seeing the city from the electric trolley that runs until 10:00p.m., I was staking out every potential eatery that might be holding some culinary gem. Alas, I spied the sign above the door,"Pizza baked in a coal fired oven". Now, growing up in Philly, I've had LOTS of great pizza! I've eaten pizza at the Jersey Shore (still the best Sicilian pizza) and I've eaten pizza all around New York. I have never had pizza from a coal stoked, brick oven. I walked into Grimaldi's and was greeted by the handsome pot bellied chef you see above. With Leon as my waiter, I decided to start off with some antipasto.

The Sweet Roasted Red Peppers are, "To Die For"!


What else could you drink while waiting for your pizza that had deep seeded roots in Brooklyn, than a cold Brooklyn Lager.

The manager that night was Jose. He could have not been more friendly and proud of his restaurant. He proudly gave me the complete rundown as well as a tour of the oven.

The brick lined oven gets stoked with coal; the coal isn't under the oven, that's it off to the side. Let me tell you, it gives the pizza a unique subtle flavor and perfectly crisp crust. I will measure all thin crust pizza, from now on, to Grimaldi's!

The one thing I can't do is to show you a picture of the pizza. When it showed up at the table, I was so impressed with the presentation, a picture would not do it justice.
http://www.grimaldispizzeria.com/new-york-new-jersey

You can click on the website to sneak a peek for yourself, but more importantly, look for a location for your next destination.
If the moon ever hit the sky like a Grimaldi's pizza pie, ah, now "That's Amori"


No comments:

Post a Comment