Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Down To The River

     What better way to spend a hot 4th of July than take all four girls down to the river. Lucky to have this spot in my own back yard. It was my Pop's favorite place to fish and every time I'm here, it feels like he's right here with me. I've fished here amidst otters, deer, bear, one bull elk, lots of eagles and on more than one occasion stepped in big cat tracks on my way in. I've never seen the lion but I'm sure he's watched me fish a time or two. Today we waved to countless passing rafters and floaters, most flying "old Glory" off the back.
     Special days, like special places are all subject to change. The river changes everything it touches every day and year to year, you get to see what's new. If you find a spot you like, enjoy it with every thing you got 'cause it just might not stay that way for long. High water can blow out a channel, erase an island and even plunk an entire roof top (stone chimney and all) smack dab down in the middle; all without blinking an eye. Today, I realized the river has terminated my three, long time, favorite fishing holes, that I have come to expect would always be there. How silly of me? And I know better!
     I'll never fish here the same way again, but I'll never forget fishing here with my Pop and now swimming with the girls. No sense pouting, just go with the flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment