Sunday, May 13, 2012

Sexy Beast

     Swimming with sharks, base jumping, "chasing the dragon" or even running the naked mile (http://www.michigandaily.com/content/naked-mile-tradition-worth-preserving), what ever it is people do, they do it for the rush. For me, one of those things is getting on my bike and going. On Saturday, I made a quick 80 mile run to Ennis and needed to be back to pick up my beautiful bride by noon. As my pal Jeff and I were saddling up, we met two guys from Indianapolis, who were on their way to the pacific north west. The minute I realized they were on a long ride, I got kind of twitterpaited. Normally I would bust out the map, the Ipad, the scrapbook, the markers and highlighters the picnic basket (blah,blah,blah, ect.ect.) and talk about every possible pass and scenic byway you could hit, but I was pressed for time. I did pull out the map and give some quick recommendations, but I was so jacked up about a trip I wasn't even on. I was so excited I was starting to black out, due to the short circuit caused by so many choices and so little time.
     I'm sure they got some credible information from me. One thing I learned for sure was that, guys from Indianapolis, are either extremely confident or very prideful. I could have sworn that one guy referred to himself as "Sexy Beast". He could have been referring to his K series BMW. Have a great, safe  ride boys!
Later that afternoon, I picked up my girl and headed out on a short loop around the house. What would a quick ride be without stopping off to say hi to Lightning Jack. Hey Indianapolis, here is a picture of my sexy beast.
     My favorite part of that small loop, is starting off under the Absorokas, passing the Crazy Mountains and riding in the shadows of the Bridgers before running right back into the Absorokas again. Looking at the snow caps on hot summer days, is so cool.
     A funny thing happened when I stopped, in some gravel, to take this picture of the Bridgers. While I can't bring myself to blurt it out cleanly, just picture adolescent, country bumpkins out for a night of mischief. Cow tippin'. Yep, I laid my strawberry roan down. Now, you boys from Indianapolis might take notice right now that my "girl" is a brunette. I'm talking about my bike. Yep, albeit soft as baby goose feathers, I laid her down. Not so much as a scratch though just as painful on the brain.
     I guess, the more I think about it, the more I realize my entire day was a bit off plumb. It could be because I was out by the campfire till 3:00a.m.. Notice I didn't say "up" by the fire, cause my palls kicked my boot at 3:00a.m. and told me to go to bed, they were leaving. Three hours sleep just ain't enough. That's right, my pal Jeff was over at the house sitting at my picnic table at 6:30a.m., ready to go. He rode my beamer and I rode my roan. It was the first early "cold ride" where I wasn't on my BMW that has hand warmers. Needless to say I was very cold as well as tired. Not the best combination for a bike ride. We stopped in Bozeman to get some coffee and let the outside air warm up a bit, before shoving off for Ennis.
  As you can see, I was off my mark for the entire day, but it didn't end there. As I got home around 6:00p.m., I lumbered into the kitchen for a cold glass of water. As I went to untie my bandanna, from around my neck, I heard a low sort of humming or buzzing if you will. Yep, it was a bumble bee. Yep, he got me me. Yep, in the soft area of skin between what would be considered the throat and the neck.
Now who's the Sexy Beast?

No comments:

Post a Comment