Monday, November 28, 2011

Guess Who's Comming to Dinner

My grandfather shoveled coal into the firebox of a fire breathing dragon on the Reading Rail Road. My grandmother had his route schedule down pat and on nights he was due to pass by town, she would take my Dad out onto the back porch to watch him go by. My grand mom would flick the back porch light off and on and my grandfather, in return, would open and close the door to the furnace, signaling a warm greeting back. This must have been passed down to my sister and I. I manifested in the form of the both of us standing at the front window, looking out for company that wasn't due for an hour or two. I'm still like that to this day.


It all played out this past week as we had company every single day. Our company was a stranger I had met only briefly two years ago. He showed up one week ago unexpectedly and had such a wonderful time , he came by every day since. Sometimes he would show up at noon and sometimes late at night when I was so tired I just wanted to go to bed, but that would be rude.If he didn't stop by during the day, I knew he would be by that evening. You can tell when company pulls up in the driveway, because the outside lights come on. If I was watching TV and the lights would pop on, I would spring up an make sure I met him at the door. I got excited as a kid looking for Santa! You're probably thinking it's a stray dog or cat, but it's not, it's a moose. I saw him two years with his mom and twin. They spent the better part of two weeks in the spring, nibbling the buds off the fruit trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment