Sunday, November 27, 2011

A Big Ram and a Monster Deer

I was out, bright and early last Saturday, checking on some cows. I ran into a snow drift that somehow broke a 48 year streak. For the first time ever, I was stuck in the snow and needed a tow. I was about 15 miles from my house and was lucky to be able to call my pal to come and get me. In true Dash fashion, it turned out to be an event.  I was happy to see the big Ram Diesel chugging up the creek and equally excited to bust out my, "like new" tow strap. For once, Id know what it was like to be on the other end. A few pictures getting sent out over the phone, two or three jokes, at my expense, a quick plan and I'd be out in no time.  WRONG! As the big diesel chugged and billowed black smoke, my Toyota stayed put and the tires on the truck just spun. There was solid ice under the snow drift, and the more the Dodge tried to pull me up and out, the closer it slid right toward my front fender. It was an "Eskimo" standoff of sorts. Call it Heavy Metal, Big Iron or Deer John, call it what you will, but it was time to get some help. After a snowy walk back to the house, we plugged in the tractor (it was 4 degrees F), we grabbed some lunch and after 40 minutes, we fired up the tractor and headed up for the trucks.


The big green and yellow machine made short work of it all.

When it was all said and done, I got a nice picture of a deer, and a ram. I had a piece of pumpkin pie and some humble pie. I have a pal that will come get me in the snow and cold. Most of all I reaffirmed my belief that if you live long enough, you will experience everything; you just need to live long enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment