Friday, November 18, 2011

As much fun to say as it is to eat; "STROMBOLI"

Thursday evening found me in my very own kitchen, celebrating some good friends getting together for the first time in a long time. While respecting the privacy of my pals, and at the same time teasing everyone else, I will say it was cool. I had 2 professional coaches, one trainer and a rock star over for dinner and I won't even say what professional sport they are affiliated with. (Nor the team either).
What I will talk about is what we cooked. For prized occasions such as this one, I busted out my signature specialty, STROMBOLI!
Actually we made 2 Strombolis and 1 pizza.
The pizza actually was made on a gluten free dough. (Yes, the Dash caters to special needs)
     If you have never had a Stromboli, it breaks down like this.
First roll out some pizza dough. Make it if you can or have time to, buy it if you don't or can't. Once you have rolled it out like a pizza, you pull it half way onto a cookie sheet. Fill it with as much shaved steak as you want, add peperoni, olives, mushrooms, sauerkraut (dried of course) [don't wrinkle your nose up at me], place on a thick accompaniment of mozzarella cheese (you gotta use the stuff with whole milk or you will miss completely), spoon on some pizza sauce (or gravy if you got no neck), fold the rest of the dough over to cover it all up, hit it with some egg wash and bake until it's golden brown.
     I like my sauce on the sweet side so I caramelize LOTS of onions and yes, I do put some additional sugar in there as well. The key is to make it the way you like. Put anything in it that you would put on your pizza.
     The best thing about this dish is that everybody gets to help. Heck, that's half the fun. You sure can catch up on old times when you're chopping, shredding, kneading, stirring, rolling and working the cork screw. Like a journey, it's not so much about the destination, it's often how you got there. Life's too long to eat bad food and to surround yourself with anything except great people. When great people become good friends that's just icing on the cake. When they feel like family in your home, well that's like a cool mint on your way out. If you do it right, you'll never need dessert.  When it comes to food and friends, Yoda says,"Choose wisely you must."

No comments:

Post a Comment