Sunday, October 23, 2011

T.G.I.F.@H.O.H.P. is A-ok

 If you’ve ever gone to a rave or hit the dubstep scene or just gone extreme clubbing, you know the drill. You head down town to an extremely unpretentious part of town, no neon, no flashing lights, no tell tail signs, you just know where to go. It's all prety much word of mouth. Friday night in Pittsburgh, we go out for the night. Down to a dark side of town and casually into a parking space that looks as though it was saved just for us. We walk to an old building that looks as though it is no longer in use. We head right in the front door (cause Teri’s playing tonight), onto the dimly lit elevator and up to the 3rd floor. As you exit the lift, it’s a tight hallway “L”, one more door, and we’re in. We are early so not much going on just yet. A few quick intros, a short stare down from the big fellow seated just inside the door and Teri is off collaborating with the sound and lighting people. I start people watching as the other musicians start rolling in and the audience follows shortly after. Let’s get this party started!   
      The music starts playing and the atmosphere is  more informal than I have ever seen. It’s like 50% standard routine and 50% open mike; lots of instruments up on the stage as well as open mikes. If you feel moved, you can grab a drum or bongo and play along. Step up to the microphone of you feel so moved and sing back up; it’s cool. Talk about hepcats? If you feel like reciting a favorite verse or unleashing your heart, let’er rip tater chip!      Teri does not start off playing, but after about an hour and a half, she eases on stage and right onto the key board as the whole idea is to not let the music stop. Her sister sits on a stool next to her and sings back up. The crowd is definitely into it: everybody is doing their own thing.
      As the night of non-stop music comes to an end, something strange and unexpected happens. Always on guard and constantly frosty when I'm in unfamiliar surroundings, I never saw it coming. As the musicians continue to play softly, the guy running the show wants to publicly thank Teri for coming many miles and setting time aside to come down to H.O.H.P.. It's not exactly C.B.G.B.s, in fact it's nothing like the famous punk scene. In fact, while I have been writing this story, the facts are correct but I have been painting a picture in your mind that lead you to "bob" when you should be "weaving". Allow me to retort.
  Friday night we headed to downtown Pittsburgh to minister to the homeless. We went to House of His Presence. (H.O.H.P) for an evening filled with worship in the form of music, song, prayer and love. I imagine for a few it might have been just a warm, dry place to sit. For some it could have been a place to get something to eat; but for all, it was a safe place in an otherwise busy world to rest, reflect and soak in the spirit. I enjoyed people watching the entire evening and was blessed because I could only imagine how some of those people got where they were in their lives. I truly delighted in all that I witnessed that night and was truly humbled before the evening was over. As Teri was called up to the front, to thank her for leading worship with them, I too was called to the front. Not wanting to leave me out, they prayed over us both. Not money, not hand shakes,but  prayers from their hearts. I had people, whom just minutes earlier I had been silently praying for, now praying over me. All very new for me. It was beautiful and humbling, and I felt the love. If you ever have the opportunity to step outside of your comfort zone, listen for the music and take a step through those doors. It's good for the SOUL.

No comments:

Post a Comment