Monday, October 24, 2011

Pittsburgh Book Report

     This past trip to western Pennsylvania afforded me the opportunity to look outside the box for adventure. Normally I want to fly, sail, speed, climb anything out of the norm. Well I did just that, for me anyhow. I read 4 books during my week there. And true to form, four very diverse books. A tour, contained inside the mind if you will. All four of them are actually tied together, however it may take a clever Sherlock Holmes to figure it out. Maybe a clever Charlie Chan or even Inspector Clouseau to stumble across the similarities? Nah, just good old Dash Confab...............all in.
 
The first Book was Medium Raw: A Bloody Valentine to the World, by Anthony Bourdain. It's his follow up to, both Kitchen Confidential and A Cooks Tour. After reading both of them and being a big fan of Tony and his t.v. show, No Reservations, I enjoyed the book. He seems to have a brash, "no holds bard" take on food and the people that make it happen. It has been interesting watching him grow over the years on television as well as in his books. I was surprised when he ended his latest book with some updated insight into people and incidents he brought to light in his first book; a reflection if you please.  I'm still not sure if it was justification or verification. I do however like when he writes that he really thought no one outside of the kitchen would ever read his first book. He appeared to become a bit sentimental and somewhat more sensitive in his more mature years. Who was it that said, "Youth is wasted on the young"?  Hey Tony, I think you're GGGGRRRRRRRREAT!
 
 
 
Book number 2; tuesdays with Morrie, by Mitch Allbom. A true story written by the sports writer for the Detroit Free Press. I guy whos' column I read regularly and a guy I watched mug it up with the local Detroit sports superstars. It seems through an interesting set of circumstances, he went back to find his favorite college professor who was diagnosed with a debilitating disease. Mitch regularly visits with Morrie throughout his last days. The story is filled with love, respect, longing, reflecting and even hope and humor. You can't help but let a little bit of Morrie inside of you as you read on. I knew how the book ended and still found myself becoming confused on how and if I wanted to start the last chapter. My take away? Without love, you die. Thanks Mitch. Thanks Morrie.
 
 
 
The 3rd book? Who Moved My Cheese? , by Spencer Johnson,M.D.  After you read this book, imagine Hem & Haw watching the movie, A Few Good Men. They would be pie eyed and white knuckled when Jack Nicholson bellows out; "you want the truth? You couldn't handle the truth!"  I liked the forward in the book by Kenneth Blanchard. The dialog that takes place in the book, both before the actual story as well as after does a great job of framing it up and putting it into play. Embrace change! This book is Mad Cheese. After reading this book I actually had a brush with fame. As I walked the high streets of Pittsburgh, I positively ran into one of the characters from the actual book. Her is a picture I was able to snap of Sniff. Any idea how I got him to smile for the camera?
The fourth and final book in my literary voyage was Steve Martins, Born Standing Up. Interesting as it was written by Steve, however, he prefers to call It a biography as opposed to an autobiography because it is a book about a guy he use to know. Being a product of the 80's myself, I began to follow Steve as he appeared of S.N.L. I had no idea of his works prior and by the time you see him in Parenthood, he's all grown up. Aside from having one of the coolest pictures in the book of Steve looking like a gun slinger that could kick Kenny Rodgers, "Gamblers" ass in a heart beat, the book was fun to read. The book shows that patience, persistence and perseverance is not enough. You gotta have talent and you go farther if you're true to yourself. It also shows that you sleep easier at night if you take the high road. Impressive is the way Steve shares his romantic interludes and tender, coming of age moments, with the softest kid gloves imaginable. Steve is, no JERK.
 
 
The last time I read like that, I was in 3rd grade and fell asleep under a desk in the "Bookmobile", I woke up 3 hours (& 117 miles) later and read books until my parents came to get me at the municipal library later that night. Those books? Mr. Pines Purple House, Gilbert the Ghost, Willie Looses His Kite & who could forget, Scotty goes to the Potty.

No comments:

Post a Comment