Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pirates, Steelers and....... Sushi?

If you've been tuning in and, as I like to say, been following "the Dash" you see I've been A.O.L.: I have been a victim of technology as well as lack, there of. Well, I've been in Pittsburgh. Summoned as if almost by the Bat Phone itself, I found myself sharing the lime lite, once again, with both super heroes and villans. It's true! The Andy Warhol Museum was hosting an exhibit by Alex Ross entitled; Heroes & Villans: The Comic Book Art of Alex Ross. Kind of like cops and firemen, we like to hang out at the same places. I did have the opportunity to extend some professional courtesy in spite of the fact they were all DC comics. With the ever so vigilant eyes of a hawk, I was however, able to catch a glimpse of Captain America.
    Even Super Heroes need to eat, so I hit the food scene a bit more laid back than normal. My first stop was Tokyo, sushibuffet&grill. I know what you're thinking, SUSHI BUFFET? It was great!  40 selections of sushi and sashimi, including hand rolls made to order. A talented staff and an overwhelming selection to choose from. If you have ever wondered just how much sushi it would take you to scream uncle (pronounced uncoe in Japanese), this is the place.
 
For lunch we stopped in at Primanti Bros. (Almost Famous since 1933) It's a sandwich place that is tall on atmosphere and short on taste. Perhaps it was my fault as I chose the cheese stake sandwich due to the fact that it had a disclaimer after it that read: our #2 seller. Maybe it's because I'm from Philly and my expectations are high or I'm so use to fighting for #1, that #2 is and will always be the first loser.   
 
On another day we headed down to the strip district. (Not the stripper district) where I pressed my nose against the glass and ogled..........fresh fish, at Wholey's Fish Market. If it swims in water, they got it!
My most memorable part was not the food but the lady hawking, freshly made lobster bisque. 100% totally addressing the women. It must have been as plain as the nose on my face that no man, EV ER (2 syllables) can cook. "Ladies (complete with strategic, pin point eye contact), put this on your pasta". "Girls, they'll love this on cold days". Me, well looks like I'm stuck with my tin of Hungry Man frozen dinners, ALSO LEFT OVER FROM THE 70'S! That was enough for me, I wasn't going to spend any of my hard earned, Susan B.Anthony's it that establishment.  
  
 
Across the street to the Pennsylvania Macaroni Company we went. Can you say "CHEESE"? You say it, they got it. You want more? They got it. You wanna tchro sumpin togedder f'lunch? G'head. O.k., I did. I got crazy with the olives; Coluccio Calabrese, Sharp Provelone stuffed and my own little baby sourdough and, bada boom, bada bing, lunch.
 
My time to hit the multitude of food stops was insufficient, but I will say this, "It ain't always about the food, sometimes it's about the company, sometimes it's about the journey, occasionally all things click and all you can say is wow." For those times when it just doesn't work out, just have one of the girls heat you up some delicious bisque. Cao

No comments:

Post a Comment