Friday, October 7, 2011

Goat Russlers

A few days ago, I found myself out on the prairie again. This time looking for some missing animals. I went up to a private 43,000 acre ranch to look for some missing goats; several hundred to be exact. I spent the entire day glassing and looking for clues. Miles of roads and nobody, anywhere around. No one to question, no one to talk to, no one, period! The day was not a total bust. There are lots of places on the property that have probably never seen a human foot print. Hard to believe in this day and age. Even I can't help but get distracted when the day gets long. When I was out where my favorite draw empties out off the plateau, I stumbled onto some cool stuff. I found what looks like a small cutting stone that's napped around the edges, like an Indian scraper. I also found some other cool rocks. They appear to be sand stone on the outside and either hollow on the inside or full of a different rock. They range in size from a small marble to a golf ball. Some look like petrified button mushrooms or petrified chestnuts. I'm headed of to a pals house that is into this sort of thing. If he doesn't know what they are, he'll find out. As for the disappearance of the goats, nothing to report, but I'll keep my eye out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment