Saturday, September 24, 2011

Home on the Range

As the sun broke this Saturday morning,I found myself amidst a sea of black. As if this past Monday wasn't enough, I spent the better part of the day working cattle again. Throwing in with my friends at Mission Creek Ranch, we immunized over 500 head. No 4 wheelers on this drive; horses, dogs and hard working folks. Half way through the day, we stopped to chow down on some sloppy Joe's. Looking for shade and a cold Miller seemed to be the common draw. The dogs were fun to watch. It would be hard to say who had more fun, me or them. They are like energizer bunnies, they just keep going and going. Watching two different 700+ pound heifers jump a five foot fence was impressive to say the least. The fact that this was all going on less than a mile from where Fort Parker once stood was some what surreal. Just across the Yellowstone River is one of my favorite places in the world,Sheep Mountain. It's like a comforting friend, no matter what direction I view it from nor from how far away. The bottom line is this, I hung out with great, hard working people, I worked my tail off ( by pulling on over 500 cow tails myself), and it was still better than a day at the office. One thing is for sure, I'll sleep well tonight. I won't need to count sheep or cows for that matter. Happy trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment